An essential course providing a greater understanding of metocean and its implications for offshore design and operations.
Metocean is a discipline covering meteorology and physical oceanography, and is concerned with quantifying the impact and effect of weather and sea conditions (such as winds, waves, currents and water levels) on a wide range of activities in the offshore oil & gas and renewables. These include seismic and geotechnical surveys, drilling campaigns, new project developments, tow-out and installation of structures, operations and maintenance, and field abandonment.
This is an essential course providing a greater understanding of Metocean and illustrating how optimum usage and application of Metocean information can benefit you and your organisation particularly with respect to:
- improved safety
- better decision-making and planning
- reduced costs
Why will this course benefit you?
For all offshore industries, the effects of meteorology and oceanography (metocean) have a major impact on design and operations. If users of metocean information are not aware of the implications that the weather, waves, currents and water levels can have on their operations or design work, then things can go wrong with serious health and safety and economic consequences.
The Metocean Awareness Course is aimed at those who need to have a greater understanding of metocean conditions worldwide and how they might impact the effectiveness of their work.
The course format will include a mixture of short presentations presented by expert speakers in this field and interactive workshop sessions including a group case study exercise. Delegates will receive a comprehensive course manual on attendance.
Who should attend?
This course is essential for Project Managers and Engineers in the offshore and renewables industries, involved in operations or design, from new entrants to the industry to those with many years experience. The course will enable delegates to interact with expert speakers and other delegates from various backgrounds who use or provide metocean data.
Course Highlights and Learning
- Understand why Metocean is important to the offshore oil & gas and renewables industries
- Find out about the Metocean process and how it fits in with other offshore activities
- Explore the key Metocean services and products
- Learn about the key Metocean parameters, such as significant wave height, and how Metocean data is collected/obtained and archived
- Gain an understanding of how weather forecasts are produced
- See how Metocean conditions vary around the world
- Appreciate the implications of climate variability and data trends
- Learn how Metocean data is analysed to derive operational statistics such as weather downtime, and design criteria such as 100 year conditions
- Become capable of engaging internal and external stakeholders about Metocean matters
- Participate in exercises and group case studies
- Find out where Metocean information, advice and support can be obtained