The Lady Hamlyn award is aimed at Apprentices who have demonstrated an outstanding commitment to their professional development in the marine sector. The award aims to help support apprentices throughout the course of their apprenticeship and ease their transition into a maritime career.
The launch of this award ties in with the IMarEST’s new appointment as an End Point Assessment Organisation for the Marine Engineer and Boatbuilder Level 3 apprenticeships. This process is designed to test whether each apprentice completing these programmes has gained the skills, knowledge and behaviours outlined in the apprenticeship standard, and to grade each learner according to their performance. Note: This award is open to all those undertaking any apprenticeship in a marine related field
This award has been made possible by Lady Helen Hamlyn. Lady Hamlyn is the Chair of the Helen Hamlyn Trust which works to develop innovative projects, with the aim to effect lasting change, improve quality of life and create opportunities for the benefit of the public. Internationally recognised for her design aesthetics and philanthropy, Lady Hamlyn has been involved with the IMarEST and the Guild of Benevolence since the 1940’s through her father who was a chief engineer.
To apply, the individual must meet the following criteria:
- A current student (SIMarEST) member (free) of the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology
- Be undertaking an apprenticeship in a marine engineering, science or technology discipline at the time of application
Each award is funded at £1,000 for student members from Group A countries, and £500 for Student Members from Group B countries. Group A and Group B eligibility will be assessed based on the country in which the candidate is undertaking their apprenticeship. Successful applicants will also receive a certificate.
ALL COUNTRIES NOT LISTED IN GROUP B
ANGOLA, BANGLADESH, BRAZIL, BOTSWANA, CAMEROON, COLOMBIA, ECUADOR, EGYPT, ETHIOPIA, GABON, GAMBIA, GHANA, GUYANA, INDIA, INDONESIA, JORDAN, KENYA, KAZAKHSTAN, MALAYSIA, MALDIVES, MEXICO, MYANMAR, NIGERIA, PAKISTAN, PAPUA NEW GUINEA, PHILIPPINES, ROMANIA, SOLOMON ISLANDS, SRI LANKA, SYRIA, THAILAND, TURKEY, VENEZUELA, TANZANIA, UKRAINE, VANUATU, ZAMBIA, ZIMBABWE.
In order to apply, the candidate will need to provide details of the following;
- Contact details
- A personal statement to outline:
- Why and how they would benefit from receiving the award
- Specifically how it would help them through the duration of their apprenticeship
- A description of the project or apprenticeship activity and how/what skills have developed as a result
- A brief passage on an intended/potential 3-5 year career plan the candidate would like to pursue following successful completion of their apprenticeship
- Contact details of a referee at the business at which the candidate is conducting their apprenticeship
Once you have your personal statement, and referee information document ready, you may proceed to apply online via the below form.
Entries and Deadlines
Entries Opening Date: 01 February 2019
Deadline: 31 March 2019