This e-learning bundle has been produced by the IMarEST to provide you with an introduction to professional development, and how it helps marine professionals progress their careers.
The total time required to complete this course, which consists of 3 modules that should be watched in sequence, is 17 minutes. We encourage you to watch and complete the course at your own pace in order to absorb the information.
Module 1: Recognition for marine professionals
This 5 minute module explains the role of certification (in particular Chartered status) in professional success.
- Working in the marine sector is a rewarding but challenging career path.
- We need to ensure that marine professionals are held to the highest standards and they are working towards safeguarding the seas for future generations.
- As a committed professional you can have your experience and competence formally recognised, by becoming Chartered (which is a certification of professionalism).
- Chartered status is a mark of excellence. It shows you work to a high standard and consider how to operate safely. It demonstrates that you think about environmental sustainability and that you actively stay up to date with technological advances, through engaging in Continuing Professional Development, or CPD for short. (see Module 2)
This video explains what is required to become Chartered with the IMarEST- from how to demonstrate your academic learning, to building a competency-based CV.
Module 2: Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for marine professionals
This 6 minute module explains the relevance of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) in today’s society and why it’s so important for marine professionals to make a commitment to maintaining and updating their skills, knowledge and competencies.
- We live – and work – in a rapidly changing world. It seems every year tougher regulations come into force, often causing significant disruption to established modes of operation.
- New approaches and ways of working emerge from the side-lines and take hold, sometimes completely displacing traditional practices. Novel technologies arrive, nearly always bringing with them new challenges.
- Staying abreast of these changes and evaluating them in the context of your role, your projects, your company, your industry and society as a whole, is a vital part of what it means to be a professional.
- Understanding the broader shifts and developments in your industry and deciding when and how they might best be applied in your role sits at the heart of CPD.
This video explains what types of activities can contribute to CPD, the importance of reflective analysis and tactics to record CPD.
Module 3: Gaining Chartered Status with the IMarEST
This 6 minute module provides practical information for marine professionals ready to take the next step towards undertaking a commitment to Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and becoming Chartered. It explains why the IMarEST is the most suitable professional society for those in marine professions.
- The IMarEST offers you the opportunity to gain Chartered status in a marine discipline and supports you in maintaining that status with a vast catalogue of CPD resources.
- It also offers you a range of membership benefits.
- Becoming a member of the IMarEST, which is the global home for all marine professionals, means you have access to all the advice, support and networking you will need to get you where you want to be.
This video talks you through the IMarEST application process to make your journey towards professional recognition as smooth as possible.
Find out more about IMarEST membership and professional recognition.