The fourth biennial European International Submarine Race (eISR) will take place from the 4 - 13 July 2018 in Gosport, England.
Teams of university students will race their human-powered submarines against the clock around a demanding slalom course in a unique sporting and engineering challenge.
The basic rules of the sport are straightforward - teams must design, build and race flooded submarines piloted by a single scuba diver, who must be fully enclosed within the hull of the machine. All propulsion power must be provided by the diver during the race (i.e. no energy storage devices such as flywheels or batteries are allowed), but otherwise the design rules are open to whatever innovation teams decide to use.
Registration opened on 15 July 2017, and the design stage of the competition begins immediately thereafter. Teams are encouraged to indicate their interest to participate as soon as possible.
Open Day - 7 July
Join us at the European International Submarine Races Open Day for interactive science, technology and engineering activities for kids of all ages and university students!
10:30 – 16:30, Saturday 7 July - Action Stations, Portsmouth, UK
- Fun and interactive experiments in science, engineering and technology for the whole family
- Showing a range of short films about the marine world
- See a human-powered submarine and find out how it works
- Access all the Action Stations activities – Navy Deck, Laser Quest, Climbing Tower, Helicopter and Jump Jet Simulators
- Get inside an Engineering Pod – get to grips with a real ship engine!
- Student Careers Fair - find out about the many exciting and rewarding careers in the marine sector and network with leading employers
The European International Submarine Races presents a unique opportunity to promote the marine sector, support young people and demonstrate to the world that engineering is fun!
Sponsoring organisations have multiple opportunities throughout a ten-day long programme to align their brand with this exciting STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths) initiative which sees university students from around the world design, build and race human-powered submarines.
In addition to positioning your brand in front of cameras and the press, you will be able to take part in the public Open Day, which includes an opening ceremony, graduate fair and student master classes. You will receive complimentary seats at the social functions and can be linked to a prize or social event.
For more information please download the sponshorship pack below, or contact Samantha Carter.