By kind permission of Sir Donald Gosling Foundation, the INEC2020 Technical Advisory Committee is delighted to announce the continuation of the Sir Donald Gosling Award for authors 35 years of age or under at the time of the conference.
Since INEC 2008, Sir Donald Gosling’s generosity in funding his Award, has encouraged young authors to present their ideas and innovations to a worldwide audience.
All named authors on the paper, must be 35 years of age or under at the time of the conference. First prize is worth £5,000, second prize, £2,500, third prize £1,500. Awards, which will be presented during the conference, will be shared between named joint authors and all will receive a certificate.
Terms And Conditions
- All named authors must be 35 years of age or under at the time of the conference. You will be asked to provide proof of your date of birth, such as a copy of your passport at the time of final paper submission. If, at any stage, the information provided is proven to be false, the application for the Award will be withdrawn.
- The Sir Donald Gosling Award at INEC 2020 and iSCSS is restricted to entries from those 35 years of age or under to encourage involvement and attendance from younger participants from navies worldwide, industry and academia, allowing them to demonstrate their innovation and compete with their peers without competition from more experienced practitioners who are established in their careers.
- Eligible candidates can only be considered for one single individual entry only at INEC 2020 or iSCSS. In the event of appearing on multiple submissions (two or more), candidates are requested to enter their best individual paper for consideration.
- Authors do not have to be a member of The Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST).
- Members of the INEC 2020 Technical Advisory Committee who meet the necessary criteria can submit papers for The Sir Donald Gosling Award, however, this will render them exempt from the Award panel and judging process.
- Papers submitted for The Sir Donald Gosling Award must be the original work of the named authors and not published or presented elsewhere prior to INEC 2020 and iSCSS. Papers must be written and presented in English. If, at any stage, it is discovered the paper is not original and has been published before, the application for the Award will be withdrawn.
- Paper submissions must adhere to the set timetable; failure to deliver your paper in a timely fashion may result in your paper being withdrawn or penalised by the Award panel.
- Authors short listed for The Sir Donald Gosling Award will be sent an Author Disclosure Form to complete. Only authors listed on the completed Author Disclosure Form which is returned by the date specified on the form will be eligible for the Award prize.
Shortlisted papers must be presented at INEC 2020 or iSCSS where the award-winning paper will be chosen by the Award Panel – the conference organisers will advise of the time and date your paper is to be presented; this is not negotiable. Failure to present the final paper at the INEC 2020 or iSCSS will result in the application for the Award being withdrawn.Due to the change in format of the conference to an online event, shortlisted authors are now required to present their papers as a pre-recorded video submitted in advance for assessment by INEC/ISCSS Technical Advisory Committee, and also participate in a panel discussion session at the online conference. The conference organisers will advise you how to conduct and submit your recording, and also the time and date the session (5-9 October); this is non-negotiable. Failure to comply will result in the application for the Award being withdrawn.