UNESCO’s Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) and Lloyd’s Register Foundation (LRF) are looking for a senior consultant with technical background in the ocean industry, extensive experience of working with maritime and ocean engineering community on a senior technical level and exceptional stakeholder engagement and partnership development skills to drive safety and engineering agenda within UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (‘the Ocean Decade’).
The role is instrumental in achieving two strategic objectives:
- To increase volume of ocean science that is applied in ocean industry and engineering practice.
- To increase volume of activities within the Ocean Decade related to safety as described above
Roles and Responsibilties
The specific tasks of this position over the period of three years are as follows:
- Map and identify relevant ocean safety aspects of the Ocean Decade Outcomes and Challenges.
- Engage with Ocean Decade partners including proponents of Ocean Decade Actions, informal working groups and national / regional structures to understand key challenges related to ocean safety aspects of the Ocean Decade and the degree of engagement with engineering communities/ industry.
- Develop a Theory of Change for the role of science in generating methods, tools and technical standards that can drive changes in regulations and industrial practices in support of Ocean Decade objectives.
- Prepare a strategy and action plan to underpin Theory of Change identifying (1) potential areas of intervention to address priority ocean safety challenges in the Ocean Decade, with particular attention to the Global South. (2) potential areas within Ocean Decade that would benefit from close collaboration with the engineering community/ industry and vice versa.
- Be a focal point for the engineering community within the Ocean Decade. Convene stakeholders, develop partnerships and collaborations between science and industry. As part of that, secure strong participation of industry and engineering community at 2024 UN Ocean Decade Conference in Barcelona and at the 2025 UN Ocean conference in France
- As part of the Action Plan, identify potential science & engineering capacity building and co-design initiatives in the growing Ocean Economies that lack science and engineering skills to achieve blue growth safely and sustainably.
- Carry out tasks as required by the Foundation and report progress.