The Joint Branch of the RINA and IMarEST (Singapore)
The Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers Singapore
Singapore Shipping Association
Tropical storms – risks and costs in offshore operations
Date : 24th September 2020 (Thursday)
Time : The webinar will begin at 6:00 pm and ends at 7.30 pm
To register your attendance, please click the web-link below:
Please, note this webinar is only open to first 100 participants who had registered and entered the meeting on first-come-first-serve basis. For benefit of those who had pre-registered, please do not share the access link further after registration. Log-in time starts 30 minutes before the online event.
Offshore structures are designed typically to "100 year" storm conditions, which are representative of the worst conditions anticipated in the operational life of the asset. There are documented cases in both the shipping and offshore industries of structural damage, asset downtime and environmental catastrophe induced by severe weather incidents over and above structural design limits.
This talk will give an introduction to the conventions and underlying physics of Tropical Revolving Storms, inherent uncertainty associated with such processes and current practices in weather forecasting. It will also touch upon ways to address risk and consequences of storms in offshore design and operations with asset monitoring, remote tools and metocean criteria updates.
About the Speaker
Jennifer Hibbert is Operations Manager at Fugro’s regional Weather Forecasting centre in Singapore. She has over 10 years’ experience delivering weather forecasts to the offshore oil & gas industry and holds a Bachelor’s degree in Atmosphere Science and Mathematics from the University of North Carolina, Asheville. She started her career in Houston, Texas at Wilkens Weather where she became a subject matter expert in Gulf of Mexico weather, providing weather advice for offshore contractors, and daily on-camera presentations for a wide range of Marine, Aviation, and Energy Trading customers. After moving to Singapore, she gained specialty in Asia-Pacific weather patterns with a primary focus on Tropical Cyclones. She now manages operations for Fugro Singapore while continuing to provide expert advice and metocean training onshore, on-site and remotely.
Instructions to join the webinar using Zoom
1. Before joining the webinar session, create a basic account (free of charge), and download the Zoom software at the web link: https://zoom.us/download
2. You may join the webinar on 24 September 2020 by clicking onto the link provided in the email after registration. For security reasons, we recommend you log in your basic account before entering the webinar.
3. Alternatively, you may join the webinar by clicking https://zoom.us/join and key in the Meeting ID and Password provided in the email after registration.
4. Video and audio function will be disabled during the session for all participants (except hosts and presenter).
5. For attendence recording purposes, please provide your name, company (or organization or institution) and membership (e.g. RINA, IMarEST, SNAMES, SSA or non-member) in the chat window upon joining the webinar.
6. During the Q&A session, please key in your questions into the chat window and it will be selected by the host and referred to the presenter.