- Unique opportunity to aboard a brand new, world leading Icebreaker vessel
- On shore location in picturesque Hobart, Tasmania
- Responsibility for 130+ personnel
You are a focussed, inspirational leader with the ability to translate strategic priorities into operational reality coupled with an understanding of the intricacies of relationship management. With integrity and customer advocacy at the front of mind, you quickly recognise and address increasingly complex scenarios and pride yourself on the ability to engage and influence a diverse range of people to achieve results.
About the Role
You will be at the forefront of multidisciplinary science in sea ice and open water and venture to Australia’s Antarctic and subantarctic stations. As the Master onboard the RSV Nuyina, you will be responsible for the command and safe operation of the vessel and the leadership and management of approximately 30 embarked crew and 100+ special personnel. In addition, you will be the representative for Serco ensuring a positive customer relationship is maintained with the Australian Antarctic Division of the Commonwealth Government.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- The highest levels of personal integrity and ethical behaviour.
- AMSA issued Certificate of Competency as Master Unrestricted coupled with Ice Navigation/Ice Master Certificate and DP Operator Certificate.
- A thorough understanding of icebreaking and operations in sea ice.
- An in depth understanding of arctic, scientific and resupply operating practices and procedures.
- Proven leadership qualities with the ability to influence, delegate and think clearly under pressure.
- Thorough understanding of research vessel, cargo and supply and ice breaking vessel operations and requirements.
- An in depth understanding of Ship Helicopter Operating Limits and aviation procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in the creation of documents and operating procedures.
- Business and operational report generation ability coupled with effective client relationship management skills.
- Advanced competency and skills in MS office and other business applications.
This is a position of trust and responsibility and to support this we will conduct a thorough probity assessment as an essential selection component for this role. You must have the ability to become a Permanent Resident of Australia and be willing to undergo an AAD Polar Medical Examination.
We have been providing critical support services in our region since 1997 and help in ways that matter such as the maintenance of biomedical equipment, integrated logistics, simulator-based training, asset management, engineering and project management, the provision of professional maritime support as well as operating a range of marine vessels. We are also proud to have been selected to design, build and operate the Australian Antarctic Division’s state-of-the-art icebreaker.
At Serco, you’ll be part of a team of more than 50,000 people delivering essential services on behalf of governments and organisations around the world. We apply world's best practice, insights and technology across six key sectors: Citizen Services, Defence, Healthcare, Immigration, Justice and Transport. But no matter your role or where you’re based, we each share the same goal – to bring service to life to make a positive difference every day. To learn more please visit www.serco.com/aspac
If you are inspired to make a positive difference and would like to be considered for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume by clicking the 'Apply Now' button.
Serco values of Trust, Care, Innovation and Pride underpin everything we do. We are curious, creative and collaborative. Our people help in ways that matter.
We are committed to diversity and we encourage people from different backgrounds including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, culturally and linguistically diverse and people with disabilities to apply.