- Unique opportunity to aboard a brand new, world leading Icebreaker vessel
- On shore location in picturesque Hobart, Tasmania
- Responsibility for 130+ personnel
You are an experienced maritime professional who leads by example and delivers results through effectively leading large and diverse teams. With strong relationship management skills and the ability to motivate and inspire others, you achieve operational objectives in a timely manner and to the highest standards. Cool under pressure, you remain focussed and composed, staying the course when challenges arise to ensure those around you focus on achieving the desired outcome.
About the Role
Reporting to the ASRV Master, you will provide professional seamanship and engineering support for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of various vessels and equipment onboard the RSV Nuyina. You will be second in command of the vessel providing multi skilled direction for ship husbandry, minor repair and maintenance when venturing to Australia’s Antarctic base stations. With up to 15 direct reports, you will initiate and manage cross functional teams and multi disciplinary projects, ensuring vessel compliance with all relevant rules, regulations and standards.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- The highest levels of personal integrity and ethical behaviour.
- AMSA issued Certificate of Competency as Master Unrestricted.
- A thorough understanding of icebreaking and operations in sea ice.
- An in depth understanding of arctic, scientific and resupply operating practices and procedures.
- Proven leadership qualities with the ability to influence, delegate and think clearly under pressure.
- Thorough understanding of research vessel, cargo and supply and ice breaking vessel operations and requirements.
- An in depth understanding of Ship Helicopter Operations and aviation procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in the creation of documents and operating procedures.
- Business and operational report generation ability coupled with effective client relationship management skills.
- Advanced competency and skills in MS office and other business applications.
This is a position of trust and responsibility and to support this we will conduct a thorough probity assessment as an essential selection component for this role. You must have the ability to become a Permanent Resident of Australia and be willing to undergo an AAD Polar Medical Examination.
We have been providing critical support services in our region since 1997 and help in ways that matter such as the maintenance of biomedical equipment, integrated logistics, simulator-based training, asset management, engineering and project management, the provision of professional maritime support as well as operating a range of marine vessels. We are also proud to have been selected to design, build and operate the Australian Antarctic Division’s state-of-the-art icebreaker.
At Serco, you’ll be part of a team of more than 50,000 people delivering essential services on behalf of governments and organisations around the world. We apply world's best practice, insights and technology across six key sectors: Citizen Services, Defence, Healthcare, Immigration, Justice and Transport. But no matter your role or where you’re based, we each share the same goal – to bring service to life to make a positive difference every day. To learn more please visit www.serco.com/aspac
If you are inspired to make a positive difference and would like to be considered for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume by clicking the 'Apply Now' button.
Serco values of Trust, Care, Innovation and Pride underpin everything we do. We are curious, creative and collaborative. Our people help in ways that matter.
We are committed to diversity and we encourage people from different backgrounds including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, culturally and linguistically diverse and people with disabilities to apply.
Apply now to:-