- Unique opportunity onboard the new, world leading Icebreaker vessel
- Onshore location in picturesque Hobart, Tasmania
- Take your engineering expertise to a new frontier
You are a proactive, reliable and resilient professional who inspires others through consistency, clarity and engaging communication. You are able to quickly recognise and address increasingly complex scenarios and translate strategic priorities into operational reality. Your leadership style is empowering and you effectively deploy knowledge, skills and experience to develop those around you.
About the Role
You will be at the forefront of multidisciplinary science operations in sea ice and open water when venturing to Australia’s Antarctic base stations. As the Serco representative onboard RSV Nuyina, you will work closely with the ASRV Master to manage the safety of all engineering personnel, contractors and special personnel engaged in engineering activities, ensuring the vessel is maintained as safe, environmentally sound and fit to perform operations duties. In addition, you will be responsible for vessel inspections, audits, and ensuring compliance with relevant rules, regulations and standards.
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- The highest levels of personal integrity and ethical behaviour.
- AMSA issued Certificate of Competency as Chief Engineer Unrestricted coupled
- Experience as Chief Engineer or 2nd engineer on a vessel with similar operational performance, including demonstrable experience with DP Systems, Vessel Automation and 21st century Variable Speed Drive or Multi Drive propulsion systems.
- Direct experience gained in a shipyard in bringing new build vessels into operation.
- An understanding of the maintenance an upkeep of research vessel, cargo and supply and ice breaking vessel equipment..
- Experience and ability acting as the vessel CMMS administrator.
- Experience in Operational and engineering procedure generation.
- Ability to develop and manage maintenance budgets.
- Proven ability as a safety leader and PTWS owner and approver.
- Proven leadership qualities with the ability to influence, delegate and think clearly under pressure.
- Advanced competency and skills in MS office and other business applications.
This is a position of trust and responsibility and to support this we will conduct a thorough probity assessment as an essential selection component for this role. You must have the ability to become a Permanent Resident of Australia and be willing to undergo an AAD Polar Medical Examination.
We have been providing critical support services in our region since 1997. We help in ways that matter such as the maintenance of biomedical equipment, integrated logistics, simulator-based training, asset management, engineering and project management, the provision of professional maritime support as well as operating a range of marine vessels. We are also proud to have been selected to design, build and operate the Australian Antarctic Division’s state-of-the-art icebreaker.
At Serco, you’ll be part of a team of more than 50,000 people delivering essential services on behalf of governments and organisations around the world. We apply world's best practice, insights and technology across six key sectors: Citizen Services, Defence, Healthcare, Immigration, Justice and Transport. But no matter your role or where you’re based, we each share the same goal – to bring service to life to make a positive difference every day. To learn more please visit www.serco.com/aspac
If you are inspired to make a positive difference and would like to be considered for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter and resume by clicking the 'Apply Now' button.
Serco values of Trust, Care, Innovation and Pride underpin everything we do. We are curious, creative and collaborative. Our people help in ways that matter.
We are committed to diversity and we encourage people from different backgrounds including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, culturally and linguistically diverse and people with disabilities to apply.