Principal Marine Engineer
Contract type: Full-time
Salary: Dependent upon experience
Location: Longitude Consulting Engineers Ltd, Alleyn House, 23-27 Carlton Crescent, Southampton, SO15 2EU
Locations in Exeter, London and Newcastle also possible
Telephone number: +44 023 8020 6900
Longitude was founded by a leading international marine warranty surveying company, as an independent dedicated engineering design consultancy. Since then Longitude has opened offices in Singapore, the United States, the United Kingdom and Mexico.
Longitude Engineering is dedicated to providing marine design and analysis services to the marine, offshore, renewable energy, defence and small craft market sectors. Our aim is to provide field operators, installation contractors, vessel owners and others involved in the industry with all the maritime engineering assistance they require to ensure their projects are successful.
Our People and Experience
We are staffed by naval architects, marine engineers, structural engineers and designers all with extensive experience of the offshore, marine, defence and small craft industries gained whilst working in a broad spectrum of the maritime industry. This experience includes working in design companies, fabricators, shipyards, aboard ships, small craft builders and classification societies.
Our Guiding Principles
We consider our most important assets to be our people, our independence and our reputation. Our approach is to provide the responsiveness of a small company with the security and quality of a large company by forming project teams to meet the specific requirements of our clients.
Member of Marine Engineering team with primary responsibility for:
Undertake Marine Engineering projects/tasks covering all areas of vessel design and modification.
This is to include:
• Design and consultancy of power and propulsion machinery selection including alternative fuels, hybrid systems etc.
• Design and consultancy of all ship marine systems and equipment
• Design and consultancy of retrofit of “clean” technologies such as Ballast Water Treatment and Exhaust Gas Scrubbers
• Work across a range of vessel types and sizes
Marketing & Sales
• Develop the Marine Engineering business stream within Longitude UK. Market capabilities to existing clients. Identify and secure new clients. Work with the Directors to develop and implement the Marine Engineering strategy for the business.
• Develop and manage a team of Marine Engineering resources across the Longitude UK offices. Undertake line management where appropriate.
• Responsibility for the delivery of all Longitude UK marine engineering projects to ensure safety, quality, schedule and resources. Communicate resource needs to the office manager / director to deliver assigned projects to quality, cost and schedule. Communicate directly with the customer. Undertake project planning, invoicing and cash collection activities.
• Identify own training requirements to maintain continued professional development. Identify training requirements of others to deliver Marine Engineering strategy.
Qualifications and experience
• It is expected that a suitable candidate will have the following minimum experience:
• Degree qualified in a relevant subject
• A minimum of 6 years in relevant employment
• Practical experience of vessel systems installation and operation (e.g. through time at sea in a relevant role, or through experience in a ship-yard environment)