Already a Member? Proudly let your colleagues and peers know by adding your membership grade to your profile.
To become a Member you will need to have been professionally engaged in the marine sector for five years and occupy a role with significant responsibility.
As well as attaining a position of such experience in a marine engineering, marine science or marine technology occupation, you must demonstrate a level of commitment to your continuous professional development (CPD) that is satisfactory to the IMarEST Council.
You may also qualify for a professional qualification (registration) in an appropriate registration category, providing you have the appropriate qualifications, experiential learning and professional competence.
- YOUR BENEFITS
Tap into knowledge
Available to: Affiliate, Student, Associate Member, Member, Fellow.
- Digital subscription to The Marine Professional magazine - Our monthly membership magazine, covering hot topics, industry trends and interviews across the marine sector.
- Access to the Virtual Library - Consisting of a searchable Digital Archive of IMarEST published material from the past 120 years, downloadable eBooks and access to thousands of academic journals, news articles, trade magazines and market reports via the Discovery Service.
- Access to IMarEST TV - View talks on cutting edge technology and research through live-streams and full recordings (via the web and offline via the app) of IMarEST technical lectures, conferences and other events from across the globe. They also contribute to your continuing professional development (CPD).
- Access to IMarEST Nexus - Nexus is our members-only professional network, integrated into the IMarEST website. Featuring a jobs board and member directory, Nexus allows you to connect, network and collaborate with others. You can create and join working groups, post events, exchange files, photos and media and just generally keep in touch with IMarEST members located across the globe.
- Join a technical Special Interest Group - Help advance a variety of specialist areas relating to marine engineering, science and technology by participating in our Special Interest Groups (SIGs). You can learn more about the topic, share your own expertise and inform policy at an intergovernmental level.
- Enjoy member discounts on IMarEST journals, events, books & MLA College distance-learning programmes - You can get discounted subscriptions to the Journal of Operational Oceanography and Journal of Marine Engineering & Technology, and member discounts for various events, books and MLA College distance-learning programmes.
- Apply for funding and Guild of Benevolence assistance grants - Apply for bursaries and grants to conduct research, attend conferences or gain experience. You can also apply for Guild of Benevolence assistance grants.
- Access local branch activities - Your local branch is a great way to grow your network and meet like-minded professionals, as well as take part in continuing professional development activities. You can develop links with other organisations and share your own knowledge, as well as learn from others.
- Ask IMarEST - This is a member query service where we will help to answer any technical questions you may have relating to marine engineering, science and technology.
- Exclusive member rewards - As a member, you can take advantage of a range of discounts, including discounts on travel services, meeting room hire and leading hotel chains.
Boost your professional development
Available to: Student, Associate Member, Member, Fellow.
- Use membership post nominals - Membership of the IMarEST is seen by many employers as an indicator of your commitment to your profession and to lifelong learning. You can showcase this through certain post-nominals, depending on your membership grade: Student (SIMarEST), Associate Member (AMIMarEST), Member (MIMarEST) and Fellow (FIMarEST).
- Apply for funding and bursaries - Our funding programme nurtures marine engineering, science and technology talent - apply for student bursaries and grants to conduct research, attend conferences or gain experience.
- Apply for free student places at IMarEST events - Some IMarEST events will offer free places for undergraduates, postgraduates, cadets, apprentices and trainees.
- Publishing opportunities in journals and on the IMarEST website - You can submit your research for peer-review and publication, either as short technical articles for the website, or as full submissions to our technical journals.
- Apply, or nominate others, for awards - Our awards programme recognises excellence and outstanding contribution in marine engineering, science and technology.
- Join a local branch committee - Get involved and enable branch activities in your area to benefit your fellow marine professionals and inspire the next generation. This will contribute to your initial/continuing professional development (IPD/CPD) and you will develop links with your peers, various organisations and government, as well as gain new skills outside of your job.
Enhance your professional development and recognition
Available to: Associate Member, Member, Fellow.
- Apply for professional registration - You can gain professional registration (such as Chartered, Incorporated/ Registered or Technician status) through the IMarEST. This gives you worldwide recognition for your skills, qualifications and experience by identifying that you have the key competencies valued by employers and you meet international standards for marine professionals.
- Access to IMarEST Echo - Echo is our online professional development platform, available via app or website, where you can access learning content and record your continuing professional development (CPD) activity and personal reflections. You can view lecture recordings, training modules, magazines and technical papers and you will be given personalised CPD tasks based on your profession and your professional registration level.
- Contribute to consultations on technical matters - The Institute is able to provide valuable input on many technical matters through the expertise of our membership, which spans a broad range of industries, disciplines and professions. At this level of membership, your views will be sought, and can inform, our official responses to consultations and calls for evidence to develop robust national and international regulations and policy.
- Access the Members Business Centre in London - Enjoy access to our Members Business Centre located at IMarEST Headquarters in Westminster, London. This includes a comfortable seating area, dedicated work spaces for hot-desking, bookable meeting rooms, free Wi-Fi, wireless printing facilities and complimentary refreshments.
- Eligible to vote in IMarEST elections - As a Fellow, Member or Associate Member, you get a vote in IMarEST elections and can apply for Council posts yourself. You can also nominate candidates for awards.
- A print copy subscription to The Marine Professional - Our monthly membership magazine delivered to your door, covering hot topics, industry trends and interviews across the marine sector.
- Boost your CPD through a variety of volunteering opportunities - Engage in technical activities that contribute to your continuing professional development (CPD) such as reviewing papers, interviewing peers for registration and contributing to committees. The full range of opportunities are listed in IMarEST Echo - your professional development platform.
Prestigious networking and knowledge activities
- Participate in IMarEST delegations to IMO and other intergovernmental organisations -
We provide the invaluable public service of giving impartial professional advice of the highest standard to governing bodies trying to develop regulations. The opportunity to participate in this work is a significant benefit of being a member of the IMarEST and includes the opportunity to sit on committees or join delegations at intergovernmental organisations and standards bodies, such as the UN's International Maritime Organization (IMO). Members and Fellows have the unique opportunity of involvement in the big decisions being taken that affect the future of the global marine community.
- Become an IMarEST technical consultant - As a Member or Fellow, you are eligible to take on work as a consultant for Institute technical activity and research projects in your area of expertise.
- Use of the IMarEST ‘Chartered’ logo - If you have Chartered status, you can showcase it using a dedicated logo wherever you choose: on business cards, stationery or on your email footer. You'll find the logo on your Membership Dashboard when logged in to the website.
- Establish a Special Interest Group and propose Institute technical campaigns - If a SIG covering your field of interest does not currently exist, we will provide support for you to establish one yourself. You are also able to propose Institue technical campaigns.
- Become a trusted IMarEST technical expert - Join a talent pool of highly knowledgeable professionals who contribute to our technical activities such as the development of regulations and policy, reviewing papers in your area of expertise, helping other members by answering questions sent to our technical query inbox, AskIMarEST?, and being invited to chair or speak at events. To be contacted about opportunities, please ensure your expertise profile is up to date in MyIMarEST. Download out this guide (PDF) for the full range of technical activities you can get involved in.
- Become an IMarEST Recognised Speaker - Have your lecture or speech assessed to become an IMarEST Recognised Speaker. This not only contributes to your own CPD but also provides you with a badge that assures others of the quality of your talks. Download the guide (PDF).
View the full range of benefits of IMarEST membership.