Subsea inspection and decommissioning costs could be slashed by 80% with the help of artificial intelligence (AI), according to subsea technology firm Rovco.
The Bristol-based company has secured Innovate UK funding to develop a 3D visualization system as part of a two-stage AI demonstrator project.
Phase one will see Rovco working in partnership with the Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE) Catapult to develop the software and equipment needed to gather live 3D data from extreme subsea environments. The technology will be trialled at ORE Catapult’s marine energy test facility in Northumberland.
The second phase of the project will include the development of a complete 3D vision-based survey solution using AI. The technology will feature cutting-edge camera and embedded graphic processing equipment installed on small remotely operated underwater vehicles (ROVs).
“We aim to deliver a step change in how offshore surveys are performed by generating live 3D data from survey-class ROVs to increase efficiencies, reduce costs, and minimize risks,” explains Rovco CEO Brian Allen.
According to Allen, 3D survey methods deliver more precise measurements and reliable metrics for asset condition monitoring when compared to traditional visual survey techniques.
“Combining this with the use of AI to better analyze and understand subsea data, enhances asset integrity decisions and reduces the manpower required, while also speeding up project turnaround times,” he continues.
The project’s first phase will be 70% supported by Innovate UK, with the remaining 30% funded by Rovco. Phase two is expected to be further backed by Innovate UK when technical feasibility is proven.
This latest venture follows Rovco’s previous Innovate UK funded study, which successfully demonstrated the market need and overall feasibility for 3D models of subsea assets.