Norway’s Statoil and Abu Dhabi-based clean energy firm Masdar have signed a collaborative agreement to analyse data from Batwind — the integrated energy storage system designed to store the power generated by the world’s first floating offshore wind farm.
Masdar holds a 25% stake in the 30MW Hywind project, which is located off the coast of Aberdeenshire, Scotland, with Statoil owning the remaining 75%.
Under the terms of the agreement, the companies will buy, test and install Batwind to discover how the solution could be leveraged to improve the operational and cost efficiency of offshore wind farms.
Studying Batwind’s performance under a range of conditions will generate a high level of operational data, which will permit exploration of the potential integration of battery storage solutions with wind and solar generation systems.
“The intermittent nature of solar and wind energy pose challenges for dependable power supply and grid stability. Energy storage is key to overcoming these challenges and unlocking the full potential of renewables” said Bader Al Lamki, Masdar’s executive director for clean energy.
“By partnering with Statoil on the Batwind project, Masdar is addressing this critical need for affordable, reliable and regionally-optimized battery technologies and strengthening the viability of energy storage solutions.”
The battery will be located at the onshore substation of Hywind Scotland and will be connected to the offshore wind farm at the grid entry point. Once installed, the battery will store power from the wind farm and send power to the grid as needed.