Principal Mechanical Engineer – Auxiliary Systems
Based from Bristol, Plymouth or Rosyth
£48,730 – £61,070 dependent on experience and location
Overall Department Direction
Energy & Marine (E&M) is a business unit within the Marine Division of Babcock International Group. E&M Engineering is a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine, system engineering, electrical engineering design and project support services to the marine and defence markets worldwide. We have vast experience in engineering, construction, concept design and through life support for a wide range of front line naval and auxiliary support vessels.
The Division is expanding rapidly with complex, high-profile defence projects including Type 31 Frigate Design & Build Programme and the Successor Programme as well as providing engineering services to the UK Surface Ship and Submarine fleet. Also, with ongoing additional framework agreements, infrastructure projects, export markets and research & development projects. Therefore, we are looking to grow our existing team, building on a well-established foundation of over 700 staff across the UK. We are recruiting staff in all disciplines, to join us at Bristol, Devonport or Rosyth with flexible working arrangements and UK travel to meet project requirements.
Main Purpose of Role
The role is within complex shipbuilding, to support Babcocks current and future ship design and build programmes, including future export variants and other ship building and refit opportunities in the pipeline. The role is for a Principal Marine Engineer with an ability to operate in the specialist area of Auxiliary Systems initially to join the Babcocks new build team, a role which will require the following:
• Leading the auxiliary engineering team, including the technical development of the design and resolving technical issues, as well as ensuring delivery of outputs in accordance with the project plan
• To act as the Delegated Design Authority for auxiliary systems, responsible for design configuration control, as well as the review and approval of the design baseline and any subsequent design changes and concessions that effect the auxiliary systems.
• Skilled in the management of engineers as a leader in the subject area of auxiliary systems
• Technical equipment manager for all Auxiliary equipment suppliers
• Approval of third party information
• Certification and generation of P&IDs
• Direct experience across all Auxiliary Engineering disciplines to be able to manage a team designing 25+ Auxiliary Systems (LP air, MP air, HP air, Potable Water, AVCAT, FO, LO, HPSW, Hot water, food Waste, Black Water, grey water and Chilled water)
• Experience of LR Naval Ship Rules
• Experience of ANEP 77 and its application to Auxiliary Systems
• Experience of MARPOL 73/78
In addition you will belong to the overall E&M engineering design team which comprises all facets engineering and naval architecture comprising new build and upkeep of existing RN and commercial vessels. There will be a multitude of further opportunities to support other projects in different roles within your discipline with a focus on expanding your longer term career development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
The Principal Engineer is required to have a high level of developed knowledge, the role is directly accountable for design development, and determines solutions to problems and issues within their specialist subject area.
Provides help and direction to less experienced team members to support both their effective working, and their development.
Chartered Engineer within relevant discipline
• Ideally degree qualified in Marine/Mechanical Engineering discipline but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered;
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We’re committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You’ll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you have completed this you will be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our website. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly. We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week’s special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website.