Senior Engineering Manager – Marine Engineering Lead
Based from Bristol, Plymouth or Rosyth
Salary and Package will be personal dependent on experience and location
Overall Department Direction
Energy & Marine (E&M) is a business unit within the Marine Division of Babcock International Group. E&M Engineering is a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine, system engineering, electrical engineering design and project support services to the marine and defence markets worldwide. We have vast experience in engineering, construction, concept design and through life support for a wide range of front line naval and auxiliary support vessels.
The Division is expanding rapidly with complex, high-profile defence projects including Type 31 Frigate Design & Build Programme and the Successor Programme as well as providing engineering services to the UK Surface Ship and Submarine fleet. Also, with ongoing additional framework agreements, infrastructure projects, export markets and research & development projects. Therefore, we are looking to grow our existing team, building on a well-established foundation of over 700 staff across the UK. We are recruiting staff in all disciplines, to join us at Bristol, Devonport or Rosyth with flexible working arrangements and UK travel to meet project requirements.
Main Purpose of Role
The role is within our current shipbuilding programme, with other shipbuilding and refit opportunities in the pipeline. The role is for a Senior Engineering Manager with a background in marine engineering to join a current shipbuilding project. Within this project the role will require:-
• Management of the marine engineering team, leading the technical development of the design and resolving technical issues, as well as ensuring delivery of outputs in accordance with the project plan
• To act as the Delegated Design Authority for marine engineering systems, responsible for design configuration control, as well as the review and approval of the design baseline and any subsequent design changes and concessions that effect the marine engineering systems.
• Deputising for the project Chief Engineer as required.
• Deep technical knowledge of marine systems including auxiliary systems, HVAC, power & propulsion, and fire detection and control.
• Significant experience of the design of marine engineering systems to meet classification requirements, ideally to LR Naval Ship Rules.
• Sea going experience as Engineering Officer on commercial or naval vessels is desirable.
• Ability to manage stakeholders and achieve acceptance off contract for all marine engineering systems.
• Direct experience of naval programmes, specifically the application of ANEP 77, NAG PMNS Certification, MARPOL 73/78, and an understanding of Def Stan 02-102 (HVAC).
In addition you will belong to the overall E&M engineering management team and will have the opportunity to support other projects in different roles within your discipline with a focus on longer term career development.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
A Senior Engineering Manager will be capable of acting as engineering lead for planning and managing complex multi discipline projects or a collection of multi discipline projects, as well as to identify and develop the strategic capabilities (people, processes, methods and tools) to meet project and task objectives.
The role is accountable for management, control and delivery of ETHER a single large and complex engineering project OR a collection of less complex projects. At this level, projects feature the requirement to control and integrate multi discipline tasks and work packages. The role may be required to be a Technical / Design Authority, providing assurance for a complex project or range of assets.
The role will require significant demonstrable management experience.
Chartered Engineer and Member of relevant institution
• Engineering degree in relevant engineering discipline, with significant demonstrable experience.
• For security reasons the role will require UK Security clearance, or ability to achieve UK SC clearance.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We’re committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You’ll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you have completed this you will be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our website. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly. We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week’s special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website.