Since 2008, Sir Donald Gosling’s generosity in funding has encouraged young authors to present their ideas and innovations to a worldwide audience at the IMarEST International Naval Engineering Conferences (INEC) and the International Ship Control Systems Symposium (iSCSS). The Sir Donald Gosling Award is a key feature of each INEC & iSCSS conference.
The award consists of three prizes:
First prize: £5,000
Second prize: £2,500
Third prize: £1,500
Financial awards will be shared equally between named joint authors and a certificate will be awarded for each individual author.
Who is eligible?
All named joint authors must be 35 years of age or under at the time of the conference. Authors do not have to be a member of The Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST).
How to Apply
- Authors are asked to submit a synopsis via the Call for Papers process, selected authors will be invited to submit technical papers. All authors must provide proof of their date of birth, such as a copy of their passport, with their synopsis submission.
- Selected authors will be invited to submit technical papers as outlined; eligible winners must present their paper at the conference, where the award ceremony will take place.
- The Sir Donald Gosling Award is subject to terms and conditions, please see below.
- All named authors must be 35 years of age or under at the time of the conference. Authors will be asked to provide proof of date of birth, such as a copy of their passport at the time of synopsis submission. If, at any stage, the information provided is proven to be false, the application for the Award will be withdrawn.
- The Sir Donald Gosling Award has been restricted to entries from those under 35 years of age to encourage involvement and attendance from younger participants from the military, industry and academia, allowing them to demonstrate their innovation and compete with their peers without competition from more experienced practitioners who are established in their careers.
- Named authors are eligible for a single entry only at INEC/iSCSS. In the event of appearing on multiple submissions, candidates are requested to enter their best paper for consideration.
- Authors do not have to be a member of The Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST).
- Members of the INEC/iSCSS Technical Advisory Committee who meet the necessary criteria can submit papers for The Sir Donald Gosling Award, however, this will render them exempt from the Award panel and judging process.
- Papers submitted for The Sir Donald Gosling Award must be the original work of the named authors and not published or presented elsewhere prior to INEC/iSCSS. Papers must be written and presented in English. If, at any stage, it is discovered the paper is not original and has been published before, the application for the Award will be withdrawn.
- Authors short listed for The Sir Donald Gosling Award will be sent an Author Disclosure Form to complete. Only authors listed on the completed Author Disclosure Form which is returned by the date specified on the form will be eligible for the Award prize.
- Shortlisted papers must be presented at the INEC conference where the award winning paper will be chosen by the Award Panel – the conference organisers will advise of the time and date your paper is to be presented; this is not negotiable. Failure to present the final paper at the INEC/iSCSS conference will result in the application for the Award being withdrawn