Already an Associate Member? Proudly let your colleagues and peers know by adding your membership grade to your profile.
Visit our Graduate Pathway page to find out more.
To become an Associate Member, you will usually have worked or studied in the marine sector for at least three years and have shown a commitment to continued professional development.
You will be eligible if you are a graduate, a technician, have completed a cadetship or apprenticeship or have an occupational role in the marine sector.
- YOUR BENEFITS
Tap into knowledge
Available to: Affiliate, Student, Associate Member, Member, Fellow.
- Digital subscription to Marine Professional - Our membership magazine, covering hot topics, industry trends and interviews across the marine sector.
- Access to the Virtual Library - Consisting of a searchable Digital Archive of IMarEST published material from the past 120 years and downloadable eBooks.
- Access to IMarEST TV - View talks on cutting edge technology and research through live-streams and full recordings (via the web and offline via the app) of IMarEST technical lectures, conferences and other events from across the globe. Watching live or on-demand contributes to your continuing professional development (CPD).
- Access to IMarEST Nexus - Nexus is our members-only professional network, integrated into the IMarEST website. Featuring a jobs board and member directory, Nexus allows you to connect, network and collaborate with others. You can create and join working groups, post events, exchange files, photos and media and just generally keep in touch with IMarEST members located across the globe.
- Join a technical Special Interest Group - Help advance a variety of specialist areas relating to marine engineering, science and technology by participating in our Special Interest Groups (SIGs). You can learn more about the topic, share your own expertise and inform policy at an intergovernmental level.
- Enjoy member discounts on IMarEST journals, events, books & MLA College distance-learning programmes - You can get discounted print subscriptions to the Journal of Operational Oceanography and Journal of Marine Engineering & Technology, and member discounts for various events, books and MLA College distance-learning programmes.
- Apply for funding and Guild of Benevolence assistance grants - Apply for bursaries and grants to conduct research, attend conferences or gain experience. You can also apply for Guild of Benevolence assistance grants.
- Access local branch activities - Your local branch is a great way to grow your network and meet like-minded professionals, as well as take part in continuing professional development activities. You can develop links with other organisations and share your own knowledge, as well as learn from others.
- Ask IMarEST - This is a member query service where we will help to answer any technical questions you may have relating to marine engineering, science and technology.
- Exclusive member rewards - As a member, you can take advantage of a range of discounts, including discounts on travel services, meeting room hire and leading hotel chains.
Boost your professional development
Available to: Student, Associate Member, Member, Fellow.
- Use membership post nominals - Membership of the IMarEST is seen by many employers as an indicator of your commitment to your profession and to lifelong learning. You can showcase this through certain post-nominals, depending on your membership grade: Student (SIMarEST), Associate Member (AMIMarEST), Member (MIMarEST) and Fellow (FIMarEST).
- Apply for funding and bursaries - Our funding programme nurtures marine engineering, science and technology talent - apply for student bursaries and grants to conduct research, attend conferences or gain experience.
- Apply for free student places at IMarEST events - Some IMarEST events will offer free places for undergraduates, postgraduates, cadets, apprentices and trainees.
- Publishing opportunities in journals and on the IMarEST website - You can submit your research for peer-review and publication, either as short technical articles for the website, or as full submissions to our technical journals.
- Apply, or nominate others, for awards - Our awards programme recognises excellence and outstanding contribution in marine engineering, science and technology.
- Join a local branch committee - Get involved and enable branch activities in your area to benefit your fellow marine professionals and inspire the next generation. This will contribute to your initial/continuing professional development (IPD/CPD) and you will develop links with your peers, various organisations and government, as well as gain new skills outside of your job.
Enhance your professional development and recognition
Available to: Associate Member, Member, Fellow.
- Apply for professional registration - You can gain professional registration (such as Chartered, Incorporated/ Registered or Technician status) through the IMarEST. This gives you worldwide recognition for your skills, qualifications and experience by identifying that you have the key competencies valued by employers and you meet international standards for marine professionals.
- Access to IMarEST Echo - Echo is our online professional development platform, available via app or website, where you can access learning content and record your continuing professional development (CPD) activity and personal reflections. You can view lecture recordings, training modules, magazines and technical papers and you will be given personalised CPD tasks based on your profession and your professional registration level.
- Access to the IMarEST Journals Hub - Enjoy online access to a selection of leading marine journals, including the IMarEST's own Journal of Marine Engineering & Technology and Journal of Operational Oceanography.
- Contribute to consultations on technical matters - The Institute is able to provide valuable input on many technical matters through the expertise of our membership, which spans a broad range of industries, disciplines and professions. At this level of membership, your views will be sought, and can inform, our official responses to consultations and calls for evidence to develop robust national and international regulations and policy.
- Eligible to vote in IMarEST elections - As a Fellow, Member or Associate Member, you get a vote in IMarEST elections and can apply for Council posts yourself. You can also nominate candidates for awards.
- A print copy subscription to Marine Professional - Our membership magazine delivered straight to your door, covering hot topics, industry trends and interviews across the marine sector.
- Boost your CPD through a variety of volunteering opportunities - Engage in technical activities that contribute to your continuing professional development (CPD) such as reviewing papers, interviewing peers for registration and contributing to committees. The full range of opportunities are listed in IMarEST Echo - your professional development platform.
View the full range of benefits of IMarEST membership.