New waves in marine engineering, science and technology is this year’s theme.
Building on the success of last year’s event which attracted 65 speakers and 3,000 delegates from more than 90 countries to over 30 sessions, the IMarEST Annual Conference 2021 (28 June-9 July) will explore many of the biggest and most important topics from marine engineering, science, and technology.
The two-week virtual event provides the opportunity for post-session networking – giving attendees a chance to connect with their peers across the world. Plus, everything will be available on demand for those who can’t make it on the day.
The conference programme, which will be published soon, will cover a range of streams, including:
• Latest insights from the Blue Economy
• The Human Element; spotlight on seafarers
• Progress and pathways towards decarbonisation
• Digitalisation and innovation in the marine sector
• Environmental developments in marine activities
• Safeguarding the ocean environment
• Navigating towards Net Zero
• New currents in naval and defence engineering
• Operations and compliance in ballast water management
• Embarking on the UN Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development
• Servicing the offshore oil and gas sector
• Marine renewables and enabling the energy transition.
The IMarEST's newest Marine Member, The Ocean Cleanup, is taking part. The non-profit organisation, founded in 2013, is developing advanced technologies aimed at reducing the plastic debris polluting our oceans, impacting sea life, tourism, fisheries, and aquaculture, and carrying toxic pollutants into food chains. Their ultimate aim – a 90% reduction in floating ocean plastic.
The company has been trialling technology to find ways to collect and harvest plastic waste in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, a gyre in the North Pacific between Hawaii and California, infamous as the world's largest accumulation zone of ocean plastic, estimated to cover an area more than three times the size of France at 1.6 million km2.
The Ocean Cleanup, which partners with many of the industry’s leading companies, organisations, and the Dutch government, will share more information about its latest technology advancements at the conference.
Attendance is free for IMarEST members. All attendees will receive a CPD certificate. Full details of the conference experience are here.